YOU KNOW THE “BIG FOUR” – THOSE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS EVERYONE LEARNS BUT THERE ARE LOTS MORE QUESTIONS WE SHOULD BE ASKING!!!
TRY THESE AT YOUR SEDER
- What would you have taken out of Egypt if you had to carry it to the Promised Land (for forty years)?
- What does it mean that Pharoah had a “hard heart”?
- In Genesis 15: 13-14, Abram is told that his offspring would be slaves. Why did we need slavery?
Answer: I find it fascinating that G-d told Abram that the people would be enslaved for 400 years and then “hears” their moaning finally – why wait? What is the lesson?
- What does freedom mean to you?
- Why do we invite Elijah to the seder?
Answer: Elijah is the prophet who is supposed to come and announce the coming of the messiah which will bring peace to all and we will return to Jerusalem (when we say “next year in Jerusalem” we are not referring to a Passover visit but a time of peace throughout the world. We also place a chair for Elijah at every bris hoping that this child will be the messiah (thankfully, he did not come to the bris of either of my son’s – I guess he knew better!).
We hope that these questions encourage everyone to talk at their sederim.
EVERYONE KNOWS MOSES BUT THERE ARE MANY OTHER IMPORTANT PEOPLE IN THIS FREEDOM STORY – SEE WHO YOU KNOW (most are in Exodus but a few are hidden in Midrash!)
Who are these people?
- Miriam: Moses’ older sister
- Aaron: Moses’ older brother
- Yocheved: Moses’ mother
- Amram: Moses’s father
- Shifrah & Puah: the two midwives who told Pharoah that the Hebrews had their babies too fast and they could not be there when the boy was born – Genesis 1: 15 – 22.
- Batiyah: Pharoah’s daughter who took Moses out of the Nile. It is told in Midrash that she left with Moses when he took the people out of Egypt.
- Nachshon: the midrash tells that when Moses put his staff into the Red Sea, it did not split. Nachshon went in saying that he had faith in G-d and believed that they would be saved. Nachson went in up to his ankles; his knees; his thighs; his waist; his shoulders. All the people yelled for him to come back but he told them to have faith. When he was almost up to his mouth, the sea split!! We should all have Nachshon moments when we do what we believe.
EVERYONE KNOWS “DAYANU” AND MOST REMEMBER “CHAD GADYA” – “ELIYAHU HANAVI” IS ANOTHER STANDARD!! BUT, WHAT ABOUT SOMETHING NEW?? TRY SOME OF THESE SONGS AT YOUR SEDER – GOOD FOR YOUNG AND OLD!
There’s No Seder Like Our Seder
Tune: “There’s No Business Like Show Business”
There’s no seder like our seder There’s no seder I know. Everything about is Halachic, Nothing that the Torah won’t allow. Listen how we read the whole Haggadah, It’s all in Hebrew ‘cause we know how. There’s no seder like our seder, We tell a tale that is swell: Moses took the people out into the heat They baked the matzah While on their feet Now isn’t that a story That just can’t be beat? Let’s go on with the show!
Tune: “Tonight” from West Side Story
Tonight, tonight, We’ll tell a tale tonight Of Pharoah, Slaves and G-d’s awesome might. We’ll do it right, with matzah, and maror And four children: dull, wicked and bright! Tonight we’ll tell our people’s story
The genut and then the glory And how it came out right. And when we’re through You’ll know you’ve been freed too On this Saaaaay-der night! Tonight, tonight, we’ll drink four cups of wine We’ll laugh and sing and dine ‘till it’s light; The tale’s not new And yet it still rings true It gives meaning to being a Jew! Egyptian masters they did beat us
But Moses he did lead us From darkness to light. And soon we’ll know
Why G-d did make it so On this Saaaay – der night!
Take Me Out to the Seder
Tune: “Take Me Out to the Ballgame”
Take me out to the Seder Take me out with the crowd Feed me some matzoh and chicken legs I don’t go for the hard-boiled eggs And its root, root, root for Elijah! That he will soon reappear! And let’s hope, hope, hope that we’ll meet Once again, next year! Take me out to the Seder Take me out with the crowd Read the Haggadah And don’t skip a word Please hold your talking
We want to be heard.And let’s root, root, root for the leaderThat he will finish his spiel!So we can nosh, nosh, nosh and by-gosh Let’s eat the meal!!!!
Take Us Out of Egypt
Tune: “Take Me Out to the Ballgame”
Take us out of Egypt Free us from slavery Bake us some matzah in a haste Don’t worry ‘bout flavor, Give no thought to taste. Oh, it’s rush, rush, rush, to the Red Sea If we don’t cross it’s a shame For it’s ten plagues Down and you’re out At the Pesach history game!
Tune: “Yankee Doodle”
Manischewitz goes down smooth, its wonders are no fable About the time “Dayenu” comes, we’re underneath the table. Chorus:
French and Napa wines can’t beat “Manny’s” fruity flavor
Who cares if its 20-proof? It’s just the taste we savor! Matzoh balls can sure slow down the alcohol’s progression, But nothing beats the sweet, rich taste from sugared grape ingestion. ChorusLast year Aunt May asked for port, we found a bit we gave herBut this year it’s Concord Grape – it’s just the taste we savor!Bubbe’s kugel is so great, it sures the worst hangover But we can’t have it with our wine – no chametz on Passover!Chorus:Sometimes we’ll serve chardonnay or vodka as a favor But Extra Heavy Malagaa tonight is what we savor!